POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields from textures? : Heightfields from textures? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields from textures?
From: Jon Berndt
Date: 26 Apr 2004 20:03:43
Message: <408da35f$1@news.povray.org>
[I've been using POV-Ray for years on and off, but I still consider myself a
sort of newbie]

I have used heightfields with a provided bitmap, but I often found that they
didn't quite work for me, at least the way I was using them.  I wanted to
make a landscape (terrain) that was rolling hills, but that exhibited detail
even when viewed up close.  I have some ideas how to do this, but the most
important aspect of this for me to get started is to know, first, if POV-Ray
can essentially model heightfields algorithmically rather than from
(potentially limited) bitmaps. I am guessing that there might be a way to
generate a heightfield that is based on a texture, perhaps?

Referrals to a FAQ or web page or section in the help file is fine,

TIA,

Jon